Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wed the 26th and Thur the 27th at AI Steenkamp

The end of our first full, well almost full, week at AI Steenkamp was anything but boring.  There is always so much going on that sparks my interest as it all seems so unexpected and so much of the time very different than my experiences in the United States.  So, as each morning, we began Wednesday with a staff gathering in the staff lounge.  On this particular day, our principal was the one who was giving the short greeting and words to start off our day.  I was intrigued when she began with a quote by none other than our United States president Obama.  You see many people from around the world who we have encountered in our short time here in Namibia have opened our eyes to how much the election of Obama has changed other countries' views of America for the better.  Especially here in Namibia, Obama is loved and America has a good name.

Once the staff meeting got out, I made my way to my classroom and ran into Bianca who I was pleased to see was still wearing her hair in the braided fashion I had completed for her the day before.  She was in good spirits and had a great smile on her face with which to greet me with.  I then made my way to my class where I taught some lessons until break.  At break, the boys from my 7A class came to meet me as I had instructed them to do so to get their sweets as their prize for winning the math game the day before.  The girls came also and were sad when they realized I was sticking to my guns about not giving them sweets also.  I assured them however that they would have the chance to earn sweets another day.

During break in the teacher's lounge, I was eating some snacks and drinking water from my two water bottles which I carry during the day.  (We can't drink the water at our schools, so I pack 2 bottles to make it through the day)  As I was sitting there, a few of the male teachers sitting near me asked about the water I was drinking.  They commented on how they always see us student teachers with water bottles and that we were always drinking from them.  They asked if we did the same back home in the US.  I explained to them that yes I did and it was a habit for me to drink at least four of those bottles in a day.  They looked shocked and explained to me that they did not drink water very often.  

After break Mrs. Emma taught a Home Ecology class where the learners spent the 40 minute period turning in an assignment and finishing copying the notes from the board into their exercise books.  This particular group of learners is typically very chatty and difficult to keep quiet during independent work times.  Mrs. Emma had had enough of the chatting today and so she said in a firm voice, "If you are talking then that is telling me you do not have enough work, so if you do not have enough work, you can come up to me and I will give you more work to do, enough to where you will be busy all through the night and into the morning."  That was all and we didn't hear a peep out of the learners the rest of the class.

On Thursday (our Friday) the staff member who shared to begin the day had a story of sorts that explained how teachers were created differently.  It explained how teachers were made with 6 sets of hands for juggling everything they are given and with 3 sets of eyes (one on the front, one on the sides and one on the back of their head) so they can see everything they need to.  I wish I had a copy of what he read as I found it very fun, funny, and true.  If I can get a hold of it some day, I will post it for sure.  

I noticed that I would like to share.  I have noticed that learners here are always putting colors on their assignments mostly with highlighters and other markers.  They use a ruler to mark boarders of color around each page in their exercise books and the assignments they paste in them.  Out of curiosity, I asked one learner why they all did this.  Her response to me was, "We decorate them Miss so they aren't boring."  A simple enough answer yet I was still fascinated by the amount of class time learners were allowed to do this for.  

This day too I got to see Mrs. Emma handle a conduct issue with two of her 7A students.  I was very pleased at how she called them forward and spoke to them about what they had done.  (Corporal punishment has just been outlawed in Namibian schools, but some teachers still beat children for poor behavior)  They two boys had been calling the new girl in the class names and tossing her backpack and books into the dirt.  The boys were given a complaint letter to take home for their parents to sign.  Later in the day though, the two boys and the girl they had been bullying came back to Mrs. Emma and explained how an apology and forgiveness had been arranged.  Mrs. Emma said she was satisfied for now and took back the letters putting them in her bag and telling the boys if they acted up again, she would for sure send them home with them. 

Sometime in the afternoon, Paula and Jan stopped by to take some pictures of me teaching and introduce themselves to my teacher.  I was pleased at their timing as they arrived just as we were doing our wrap up activity in a maths period.  In talking to them later in the day, they said they thought the assessment was good as they could tell from it what my learning objective had been even though they weren't present for the lesson. 

On Thursdays, Mrs. Emma has a planning period in the afternoon.  It is interesting as the teachers here don't do much during such times.  I sat with Mrs. Emma in the classroom during this 40 minute period as she sent some text messages and chatted with me a bit.  

When we returned home for the evening from dinner I think, Katee, MJ, and I found that our door would not unlock.  The lock had been being pretty sticky for a few days prior and would not budge when we tried to open it.  It was raining out and very dark.  We had 4 staff members from the hotel trying to help us and no one could get it to open (for over an hour).  Finally, we remembered our bathroom window was open, so they sent our trusty cook Rueben in through the small opening.  He walked through our room and was able to open the lock from the other side, we were so grateful and he was so humble.  About an hour later, the power went out, we took that as a sign we ought to just go to bed for the evening.

Pictures of me teaching soon to come, as for now, please enjoy these fun pictures of my professors in traditional wear :)
  


Paula's reaction to Jan's attempt to put on her head piece 

 Paula helping Jan

 Paula and Jan rockin' the traditional Owambo dress

No comments:

Post a Comment