Sunday, February 6, 2011

First and Probably Last Friday at Steenkamp

With the way this program is set-up, going to school on Fridays is optional.  This is because many of our excursions happen on the weekend and are far away, so Fridays can be used to travel and such.  This particular Friday though, we had no plans, so we went to school.  After a long week of teaching with little to no guidance, I was quite tired when it came to Friday.  I had grown very concerned for Mrs. Emma and her little ones since I had not heard from her.  I really hope when I go back to school on Monday that she is there with a good report of her children and her feeling well.

Just a few highlights from school on Friday:
-When talking to the learners in 7A about USA and the school system there Jeffery said, "Miss, I'm on my way there on Saturday." and Geraldine said, "I am going there."  They both were excited about the sheer idea of not having to wear school uniforms or pay school fees.  I love answering their questions because they always give me the most bizarre looks for my answers.
-I met with the principal to get information for my profile paper and on my way out of her office, she affirmed me for the work I had been doing in Mrs. Emma's classes and how well I was getting along on my own and teaching the learners without help.
-I did the drawings of the tickets from the incentive program and the learners got so excited.  The most popular choice from the prizes was a new box of fresh colored pencils. I had about 6 boxes in there and they were all chosen.  Guess I may have to see if I can get some more for the next few weeks.
-I wore my Toms to teach in and many learners commented on how they loved them. One girl said, "Miss your shoes are so beautiful."  I want to get a picture of some learners and I with my Toms flag and me wearing them.
-It started raining (when it rains here it pours and I mean pours) during the last period and all my learners freaked out about their bags and didn't want to walk home with them in the rain, so they shoved all 22 of them into the cabinet in the room and left them there over the weekend.

When we got home, I was tired, I took a 2 hour nap in my room.  We ordered some pizzas and had a chill night around Casa Blanca.  We made friends with some of the guests from South Africa who will be staying here for 3 months.


One of my learners Zacharius helping deliver homework books on Friday

The rain Friday afternoon aka instant puddles

No comments:

Post a Comment