Monday, February 21, 2011

Thursday: A Day of Athletics Namibian Style

Thursday was a memorable day filled with athletics, fun, food, and sun.  The learners along with the teachers had been preparing for this day for many weeks.  There were many class periods missed and long hours spent in preparation for this day.  With my sign all made and my white PLU shirt and royal blue nike shorts on, I was ready for the day.  The whole day was incredible and full of surprises starting with the moment our taxis arrived in the morning.  We were greeted with two small taxis this morning which was interesting because we had five people going to athletics and only three going to the school.  So 6 of us squished our way into a car intended for 5 and off we went.  We arrived at the stadium just as the sun was peaking up over the horizon and the first load of our Steenkamp learners were pulling in in the little white school bus.  To my delight, the first group was filled with my cheerleader girls who were all decked out in matching outfits and pom-poms with spirits high ready for a day of joyfully cheering on their classmates.  

We took some pictures and then got to work helping set up the stadium for the day's events since Steenkamp was hosting the event this year, we had much to be in charge of and prepare.  Slowly but surely as we set up, groups of children from all over the city began to arrive sporting their school's color and itching with the anticipation of competition.  Once everyone had arrived, we began with a beautiful rendition of the Namibian national anthem led by the voice of our principal Mrs. Kamahene.  Once I had shed a few tears and recorded the singing of the song I had grown to love, it was time for my girls to show their stuff and do the opening ceremonies dance.  

I held back tears as they made their way out onto the field in full view of thousands of their peers.  My heart melted for them as I knew how nervous they were.  It was an incredible feeling to watch them dance their hearts out and smile with such confidence.  I took countless pictures and recruited one of my prefects to hold the video camera for me so I could also record this time.  When the girls finished and the crowd cheered, I felt like a proud mama and couldn't help but shed a few tears.

During our time at athletics (which was basically a track meet) we were asked to do two things: take lots of pictures and encourage the kids.  When I found out these were my duties for the day, I couldn't have been more pleased as these are two things I greatly enjoy.  So, once the opening ceremonies were finished, I made my way down onto the track area armed with my camera and water bottle.  We helped the kids find out where they should be and began watching races.  The kids ran with such a fierceness in their face and without shoes.  They ran like no kids I had ever seen before, it was an incredible sight.  I teared up several times throughout the day.  

At one point, I found myself sitting down in the grass watching the learners run in the hurdles races.  After sitting there for a short while, one of my learners Andria sat down next to me and started talking to me.  At first I was a little shocked as this was a learner who on the first day skipped many of my classes and always seemed to have a bit of a bad/tough attitude.  I loved this time with her and found her by my side several times throughout the rest of the day.  This day really solidified for me how important creating relationships with kids are and how rewarding it can be to pour into their lives.

At another point in the day, I was happily surprised when I was met by the face of my sweet little Ann-Lee.  She had told me the day before that she didn't know if she was going to be able to come to athletics because the principal had said the prefects should stay back at the school to help keep things organized.  I guess Mrs. Kama changed her mind because it seemed that all the prefects had been dropped off at that stadium.  I wasn't going to complain though because I was thrilled to have Ann-Lee there.  

The sun was growing hotter and my skin growing pinker so I decided I would take a place in the stands with my learners and help cheer on the runners from there.  I am so glad I made this decision because the rest of my day was so fun.  I loved being silly with the kids and making faces with them as we caught countless photos and videos.  It was so fun to be able to feel so free and not have to teach them anything profound in those moments and just be able to love them.  I will never forget these moments and my heart is happy as I simply recall them now.  

Athletics wasn't over when it was time for us to leave, but our taxi was there and leave we had to.  Later that evening we shared some time with Paul at the Texas Ranch House where he shared with us some of his knowledge.  We talked about culture and other things.  He did his best to explain the game of cricket to us.  When I got home from the dinner, I re-painted my toenails, packed some things for the weekend, and went to bed.

The sign I made to support our learners

The amazing sunrise

The Stadium

My girls all ready to cheer on their classmates

Learners sportin' the PLU football stickers

The Steenkamp flag

So many bags of Nik Naks

Kerly and Chantelle

More of my girls

Mrs. Kamahene belting out the Namibian national anthem

Opening ceremonies dance by my girls 

Let the races begin

Waiting in line for their race

Put your game face on

Who needs shoes anyway?

On your mark...

Cleared!

Some of my learners who got out of school to come help move hurdles all day

Long jump

Being silly

The smile of a champion

Trevor running his heart out

So tired...

More running

Simon and Jerome

Hurdles


Mr. Mica lookin' cool
We love our Steenkamp teachers

You got it Andria

Oh sweet little Gina

Fun with the kids in the stands














Badges the learners wore to tell the events they were in


1 comment: