Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thur the 10th: A Great Day of School

Highlights from Thursday:
-After the period of maths was over and it was time for the first period of home ecology, Mrs. Emma looked over at me and said, "It's your turn."  This was a simple message, but to me it meant a lot.  It reminded me of co-teaching at it's best back in the states with Mrs. Ash and Mrs. Levenseller.  I love co-teaching, I think it is a lot of fun, and I hope I get the opportunity to do it a lot in my teaching career.

-I brought my big Nikon SLR camera this day to begin taking the pictures of the learners and their portraits.  I tried using my little camera on Wednesday, but the pictures were turning out too dark without the flash and too bright with the flash, so I knew I would need my nicer camera if I wanted quality pictures.  I was so glad I made this decision and the pictures turned out much better.

-At break, I was invited by several of my grade 7 learners from different classes to come watch them practice the dances they would be doing at the next week's athletic competition's opening ceremonies (see video clip link below).  It took a few days for me to have a time slot to come, but I am so glad it worked out.  The dances were so fun to watch and the joy on the learners faces as they performed made me want to cry (I think I may actually have shed a tear or two).  It's experience like these ones that are authentic to the culture that I really love and cherish.

-When walking back from the lower-primary classroom where the girls were dancing, I was attacked by many lower-primary learners.  I didn't even know most of these kids, but they took turns hugging me and walking me part of the way back to my classroom.  They were the cutest little things.

-During an explanation of the maths review worksheet this afternoon, Mrs. Emma came upon a class who I had not taught less than and great than by me.  So, she decided to teach them the method I had shared with the other classes (the common pac man mouth method of the USA).  It was so great to watch her reenact the lesson content.  She did fairly well with it, but had to ask me for some help.  I hope she continues to use this strategy with learners in the future.

This is what 40 learners looks like


My grade 7 learners dancing











The other kids watching from the outside


My friend Jonas from the teacher workday and another learner from his class

More learners who are asking, "Miss, can Miss catch a photo of us?"


No comments:

Post a Comment